As hemp food products continue to grow in popularity consumers are finding out about all of their amazing benefits. From protein, to healthy fats and essential nutrients, hemp is an all-natural superfood that provides the building blocks for a healthy, balanced, and nutritious diet.
What is Hemp Food?
Although the hemp plant can be used for a variety of purposes, the whole plant itself is not an edible food. When we refer to hemp food, we are simply referring to the seeds the hemp plant produces. This is often called hemp seed or hemp grain. Hemp seeds do not contain CBD or THC.
Although small in stature, hemp seeds are a true superfood from top to bottom and one of the most nutrient dense seeds on the planet.
Protein: As everyone knows by now, protein is an essential component of any diet. We need protein to stay healthy, provide us with fuel, and strengthen our immune system.
- Hemp hearts contain 10 grams of high quality plant protein in just one serving.
- This is more protein than is found in peanuts, sunflower seeds, and even eggs. As consumers search for alternative forms of plant protein, hemp is an obvious choice.
Amino Acids: Amino acids are the building blocks of protein. Hemp contains all known 21 amino acids, including the 9 that humans are unable to produce themselves.
- Simply put, hemp is an all-natural choice for obtaining amino acids through food.
- Omega-3-6: Omega 3 & 6 are essential dietary fats. Essential means the body can’t produce these fats, yet we need them to live. This means humans require a dietary input of both Omega 3 & 6.
- Hemp hearts contain the perfect ratio (3:1) of omega 3 to omega 6 fatty acids and are an excellent way to obtain these essential fats.
Zinc: As highlighted throughout the Covid-19 pandemic, Zinc is a vital mineral that is critical for the development and function of immune cells. It is a fundamental mineral for DNA synthesis, protein production, the function of the metabolism, nerve transmission, and many other important bodily functions.
- Hemp hearts are an excellent source of Zinc, containing over 3mg per serving, roughly 30% of the suggested daily value.
Vitamin D: Just like Zinc, the Covid-19 pandemic highlighted how important Vitamin D is to the health of humans. Vitamin D has several important functions, such as facilitating normal immune system function, bone and teeth health, as well as improving our resistance against certain diseases. Although the body produces vitamin D naturally when it’s directly exposed to sunlight, many still lack proper levels of Vitamin D.
- Hemp hearts are an all-natural way to obtain Vitamin D through food with over 3mcg per serving.
Iron: Iron is an important nutrient that plays a key role in maintaining our energy levels. Low iron levels are common throughout the US population and symptoms may include tiredness, poor concentration, and frequent bouts of illness.
- Hemp hearts contain over 2 mg of iron per serving and are an all-natural way to fuel your brain and body with energy.
Magnesium: Magnesium is a fascinating mineral that is found just about everywhere on Earth. Unfortunately, studies suggest that about 50% of people in the US get less than the recommended daily amount. Magnesium is involved in more than 600 reactions in your body, including energy creation, protein formation, gene maintenance, muscle movements, and nervous system regulation.
- Hemp hearts are an excellent source of magnesium containing over 190 mg per serving, roughly half of your suggested daily intake.
Manganese: The human body cannot produce manganese, which means it must be obtained from one’s diet. It is a trace mineral that is vital for the human body, but only needed in small amounts. It plays a crucial role in reduction of inflammation, bone formation, blood clotting, cholesterol, glucose and more.
- Hemp hearts contain 100% of your daily value of manganese, so don’t worry about this mineral when selecting your next daily vitamin.
Potassium: Potassium is both a mineral and electrolyte that assists the body in a wide range of important functions. Your body doesn’t naturally produce potassium, so it’s important to consume the right balance of potassium rich foods.
- With 360 mg of potassium per serving of hemp hearts, roughly 10% of your daily requirement, these tasty seeds are a great source of potassium.
Vitamin B6: Vitamin B6 is a water-soluble vitamin that your body needs for several functions. It’s significant to protein, fat and carbohydrate metabolism and the creation of red blood cells and neurotransmitters. Your body cannot produce Vitamin B6, so you must obtain it from foods or supplements. Consuming adequate amounts of vitamin B6 is important for optimal health and may even prevent and treat chronic diseases.
- Hemp hearts contain 15% of your daily requirement in just one serving, making it an all-natural selection for obtaining vitamin b6.
Phosphorus: Your body needs phosphorus for many functions, such as repairing tissue and cells, keeping your bones strong and healthy, and moving your muscles. It is the second most abundant mineral in the body and most people get the amount they need through their daily diets.
- With 460mg of phosphorus per serving of hemp hearts, this all-natural superfood is an excellent way to obtain your daily requirements.
Folate: Folate, also known as vitamin B9, is a water-soluble vitamin that has many important functions in your body. In particular, it supports healthy cell division and promotes proper fetal growth and development to reduce the risk of birth defects
- Folate is found naturally in many foods, and hemp hearts are one of those foods. It’s recommended that healthy adults get at least 400 mcg of folate per day to prevent a deficiency. Hemp hearts contain 10% of this daily requirement.
Hemp Food – Healthy Living Made Easy
With all the information available it can be almost impossible to figure out where to start with one’s diet. If you want to keep it simple, start with Hemp. From protein to healthy fats and essential nutrients, hemp is an all-natural superfood that provides you with the building blocks for a healthy, balanced, and nutritious diet.
Choosing to make hemp food part of your wellness routine is simple. No matter which Minny Grown product you select, you can trust that our local first approach, industry leading expertise, and third-party testing is providing you with the highest quality hemp food products on the market today.
If you have any questions about our hemp products, please feel free to contact us anytime. Or if you want an awesome hemp experience and education, stop into our retail store located off I-94 and Radio Drive in Woodbury, MN. Our team of experts is here to help you with all your hemp needs.